It is done.
After working for so long, I’ve finally reached the end of ARM 0.1, and thus the final revision is complete. With the spellcheck done, ARM 0.1 officially becomes ARM 0.1.1, and it will be ready for timestamping as such once it is stripped of external references and links.
Working on the unassigned character traits led me to once again polish certain characters’ attributes, as well as define certain characters’ key storylines; in particular Feigenbaum and her involvement with Retcon.
Apart from that, I worked on several other tidbits from all over. Here are some final notes from that.
- Once again I had to rethink Nagastra’s nature. Funny how it keeps giving me headaches trying to tell an interesting story with it. For the sake of keeping convolution to a minimum, I will make it as a fast-hitting weapon as possible, and see where that takes me.
- Wildcard is a mercenary. Theon is a mastermind. Kurush is a psycho. This distinction is important and I’ll have to keep it in mind when dealing with them.
- Relating Scythe to Scythian would make for an interesting and quite believable folk etymology, if you ask me.
- Apparently I broke Word’s real-time spellcheck. It kept telling me that the document’s too long and I’d have to check for errors manually. That’s what I had to do at the end anyways, so…
- The final major changes I did involved the ALPHA Plexus hierarchy. I decided to remove the Tierce echelon, keeping it only for Didymos and other Plexuses of larger size (if they do in fact exist). That effectively makes a standard Plexus three times smaller; but, I also reduced the hypothetical amount of Plexuses from 11 to 7-10. That resulted in a shift from 8,019 units (maximum) to 1,701 units (minimum). And I’m alright with that. All this came from a lingering feeling that ALPHA is just too big for its own good, especially when you compare it to certain Special Forces unit sizes, like Delta (~1,000), navy SEALs (~2,000 with DEVGRU having 200 to no more than 300), or Green Berets (~5,000). So its overall size makes more sense to me now. After all, ALPHA is supposed to be a covert ops group, not a massive Earth-engulfing military force. Right?
- The other major change was renaming Triumvir from Triskele. Considered changing either them or the Triarch to that. Haven’t completely ruled out doing that instead, though.
So evidently, the step to take after this is to begin writing as soon as possible. However, there are a few things still to do before that. Other than prepping the document for timestamping, which should take two to three days, I have ancillary documents to re-read, but none of which have more than a few pages. So, getting everything prepped should take me a few days to a week more. Until then…